Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gooseneck Point

On a particularly pleasant day, I got up early and had some energy.  I felt the need to do some exploring.  I wanted to check out Padre Bay from above, and to see if there was a way to descend safely down one of the canyons to Lake Powell.  I drove on out past Big Water and on out along Smokey Mountain Road.   Though I went too far, and looked on the map to find out that I was right across from Padre Bay.  So, I parked around the next bend, and thought I'd take a look to see what sort of drop-off to expect in that region.  The wash soon became a slick narrow slot canyon, and I looked from above where it plummeted about 500+ vertical feet.  Amazingly enough, there was an older couple hiking in that very same spot, and we chatted a little about the crossing of the fathers.

 They were originally from Bellingham.  I decided to backtrack a little to another canyon that looked easier on the topo map.  It became a narrow slot canyon in some parts, but was fairly decent.  I came across some cougar tracks near some waterholes, but the canyon got steeper.  There were a few points I hesitated jumping down, unsure if I would be able to scramble back up.  I made it down a few more, and one was a good drop, so I anchored some rope at the base of a few larger bushes.  I continued onward, and finally got to a REALLY big drop.  Something I would need a climbing harness for... and I wasn't THAT ambitious.  I came back, and scampered up some of the drops that I had jumped down.  As it turned out, I didn't even need the rope, but it was good to have "just in case".  I made it back to the car and still had some time left before I needed to head back. 



I decided to make an attempt for the gooseneck, that way I could at least have some photos.  There was no parking place, no sign of trails, nothing.  I used my GPS to point me in the general area, and went on through, blazing my way through the crunchy soft soil.  Not much else out there.  Eventually I made it to where I could get some nice views, and snapped a bunch of photos.  After looking at the time, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to get back for work at 7pm, so I took the boots off and put on the FiveFingers.  I half jogged, half hiked with a quick pace along my tracks back.  I was soaking with sweat by the time I reached the Equinox, and steamed up my sunglasses as I flipped the ignition.  Low angle sunlight in the eyes, lot of use of the visor, and high attention navigation through the gaps, ruts, rocks, and slippery sections. 






I got to my hotel just as Andra called me about an internet problem and did my best to troubleshoot as I was walking up to my room.  I quickly changed into my work clothes, grabbed a lunch, and bolted out the door.  Somehow I got to the security gate with some time to spare.  I suspect timewarp.


No comments:

Post a Comment