Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring Break

So, I'm back from Kent.
Plane trip pics.
My spring break turned out alright I can say. I flew home on Saturday morning, and was able to meet up w/ my family, and was able to meet up with friends throughout the week. Brent also came home, and I introduced him to my recent addiction of the TV series 24. We got to go out and play ultimate Frisbee w/ my original crowd of people. 2 who've recently departed on their LDS mission. We met up at our typical post Frisbee location, Denny's. It was great seeing everyone again. The next evening I went night skiing w/ Bonnie, where I became a bit more familiar in meeting the icy snow, and have the bruises to prove it. Throughout the week, I had been hunting down a car to buy for my return trip. After test driving several models, I finally made a decision to buy a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
It's a bit beat up, and has moderate cosmetic damage from a previous wreck. Therefore, I was able to get a good deal on a piece of machinery that can get me from point A to B. It's a manual transmission, and I don't think I could ever go back to an automatic. Later on that week I was able to go out Blues dancing which I've been deprived of since moving out to Utah, where I've only been able to find country dancing *shudder* and some salsa clubs.
I departed on Saturday afternoon, trying to beat the big snowstorm that was supposed to hit Idaho and Utah the following day. All went well on the way, until halfway through Idaho, I came across some nasty icy conditions. The snow was pretty thick on the road, and had turned into ice. I slowed way down to about 55mph, and then my car was rocked with a sudden crosswind. To compensate I steered into the wind, until the gust suddenly ended. My steering wheels were then pointed in the wrong direction relative to my direction of motion. So, my backend swerved out of control, side to side, like you'd see in a typical SUV rollover accident. I popped the clutch out, and tapped at the brakes when needed. At this point, I thought I was going to crash, and was just trying to minimize the damage to myself and the car. I directed the sliding vehicle towards the median of grass, snow, and mud all soft GOOD! So, that was able to slow the car down rather rapidly, and it came to a stop*PHEW!* I was alive and well. And to think I'd been lectured that my time was wasted on videogames. Psssh. I was still stuck though. My tires just spun out in the muddy snow. The embankment was pretty steep to the roadgrade. I thought this would be the perfect time to test out the low 4X4 gear in my new car! Worked like a charm! After saying a quick prayer, I was on my way again. The rest of the trip was fine, came home, unpacked, and slept.
Now back to the monotonous drudgery of schoolwork, assignments, and tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment