A year or so ago I stumbled to an organization online that
hosts an Appleseed event. It is an
organization geared on rifle marksmanship, teaching better shooting techniques,
and a little bit of American history tied in with it. I
read several forums about people who attended country-wide.
The vast majority of the reviews concerning the Appleseed program all
stemmed around people increasing their firearm proficiency and tightening their
groupings. Even people who didn’t enjoy
the event for various reasons, ended up walking away learning something about their firearm.
Having a background in recreational marksmanship, I was
intrigued. It has been many years since
I was on the University of Utah pistol team, and haven’t had a sense of real
competition or instruction since. I feel rather
proficient in being able to coach myself with my pistol, and typical bench-rest
rifle shooting. However, I had zero
experience with coaching a magazine fed semi-auto rifle. I’ve taken my AR out to a few ranges, and
have been somewhat satisfied with my groupings at 100 yards or so. The amount of consistency was not there
though, and I seemed to be only able to manage decent groupings if I were
comfortably in a supported prone position.
Standing, sitting, etc. I was all over the place. Many people attend an Appleseed with a 10/22,
simply because you can learn and practice marksmanship skills the same way as
any other rifle, and ammo is cheap. I
don’t own a 10/22, and I felt a desire to become very familiar with my AR and
what it is capable of.
I attempted to get some friends and family interested in
going, but was unsuccessful. I decided
there was an event in the early winter where it would be easier to break away
from other fair-weather activities. I
arrived early in the morning with a massive box of ammo, and was pretty excited
to get some instruction on different methods of firing a rifle with a focus on
marksmanship. Even though I felt
confident in the basics of marksmanship, I kept mostly quiet and simply wanted
to be taught their methods with an open mind.
My gun was sighted in at 100m, so my bullets were hitting the 25m
targets very low, as they were still going up in their trajectory. It took a little while to get my scope
adjusted, especially after some unit conversion confusion between MOA and
Milrads. Soon, I was happy with being
sighted in just as we started going over the good stuff.
All in all, the instruction was highly informative and lots
of my sight alignment, trigger control, and breathing translated over nearly
effortlessly from pistol to rifle. My
one minor bit of criticism was that I had never used a rifle sling before in
the manner taught. It took some
modifications to my sling and rifle mounting points to get it to “work” the way
the instructors had demonstrated.
However, I was only allowed to approach the firing line and touch my
firearm during “prep-time” just before a shoot.
This seemed like a little less than a minute before one had to then
focus upon the shooting task. I made
hasty adjustments and had a bit of frustration with my sling malfunctions
during that time. I really wish they
could have designated some time where we could try out these new positions and
methods in a dry-fire task where we could make modifications, adjustments, and
get some 1 on 1 assistance to make sure one is ready for each new method of
shooting.
After the first day of the course, I was soaked with mud and
rain. I checked into my hotel, warmed up
while cleaning my rifle. I was then able
to make some modifications to the sling mounts, and even luckily had a sewing
needle in my supplies. Thus I was able
to un-thread a scrap nylon rope, use several thin strands to thread through the
needle and sew parts of my sling that were slipping out and causing
frustrations. I was then able to try my
best imitation of various sling shooting positions on my hotel bed and dry-fire
for a few minutes until I felt confident I could perform fluidly on the firing
line.
![]() |
| Drying out my pants next to the heater |
There was a lot of shooting, and I admittedly went through
far more ammo than I had intended to. I
probably should have sat more rounds out, but I was determined to improve at
each task ahead of me. It was a lot of
fun for sure. Since there was so much
shooting crammed into those two days, there was very little time in between to
take notes, load magazines, and nearly zero time to make any sorts of adjustments
to a rifle. If I go again, preferably
with others, I’ll have to instruct them beforehand on how to set their rifle up
and have everything “ready-to-go” and be familiar with how their sling
functions/feels/mounts before they arrive at the range. I have a feeling that some of my
friends/family who might not be as well versed in the configuration/mechanics
with a rifle might feel a bit rushed and frustrated at the pace in which the
course advanced, unless they spent a good day or two at the range beforehand
trying these methods out first at their own pace. Or maybe even at home dry-firing.
I was very impressed with my groupings and satisfied overall
at my experience at the Appleseed course.
I really would have liked even a single round at a longer range of like
300m to see the groupings at 25m vs 300m.
I think that would really cement a lot of the methods worked on if
attendees could see how their skills directly translated over to longer ranges. At the end of the first day, I had a feeling
that the next day I could make a “Rifleman” (A score of 210 or more) which I
did on two of my targets. I almost did
it a third time, but I had a mishap with my sling coming un-done before we
started a timed round.
![]() |
| Yay! Got my patch |
![]() |
| My highest score |
Random tidbit:
Before the Appleseed event I was able to snag a few
discounted 20rd Pmags in a light desert color. (free shipping!) I decided to dye them red before the event to
make sure they would be easily distinguished as MINE. I’ve gone shooting in the past where I
started off with 4+ 30rd AK magazines, and returned with only 1. They all look the same, and people snag them
thinking they’re theirs lying around. Anyways,
I got some Rit dye and had some fun customizing the mags. They are very red, even though the camera
made them look a little off. I tried to
find the Red Delicious apple stickers at the supermarket, but they all appeared
to have changed over to a less than flattering barcode sticker instead. Oh well.
I still like the red mags.
![]() |
| Heating the dye |
![]() |
| Freshly dyed Pmags |
![]() |
| Ready for Appleseed! |






I can make some red vinyl stickers. Even reflective.
ReplyDeleteVery nice write up, you should post it to the Forum under the Appleseed AAR that you attended, and under Appleseeds from other sources. Thanks for leaving the link in my comments, if I can visit with it, everyone can. Look for the Known Distance Appleseed and the Instructor Boot Camps in your area, you would be fine to help on the trail. In Liberty, thanks for coming.
ReplyDelete