- UV filter ($0.99)
- Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ($22.50 for 6"X6")
- Thin Cardboard or cardstock
- Glue
- Scissors & hobby knife
I started out by purchasing a cheap UV filter that matched the size of my telephoto lens. It shipped straight from Hong Kong, and cost me a whole $0.99 including shipping and handling. Yes, it took a while to arrive, but you can't beat a dollar filter!
When I got the filter, I used a pair of bent tweezers to un-thread the retaining ring that holds the glass filter in place. This was a little difficult, but after a few attempts, the threads gave way, and I was able to safely remove the glass.
Then I used the glass circle to trace profiles on of some cardstock. In this case, a hotel's "Thank you for not smoking" sign. Using a hobby knife, I was able to carefully cut two discs of cardboard. I placed them in the filter housing just to make sure they would fit properly without any binding.
I purchased 6 square inches of the Baader AstroSolar Safety Film because I planned on making more than one filter, and just in case I totally borked my first attempt. I set the disc (hole not cut out yet) to get an approximate size for how much of the material I would need, and carefully cut it out.
With two of the discs ready, I used a little bit of glue on one face. I would recommend using something light, quick drying, and only use a THIN layer. The only glue I had available at the time was Gorilla Glue, and it wasn't the best choice. I think something like a glue-stick would work the best in this situation, or better yet, double sided tape.
I set the film on a tissue to avoid scratches to the under side, and let the glue dry a little bit.
I then plopped the disc, glue side down at the center of the cutout film section.
I placed another tissue on top of the material to avoid scratching this side as well.
Using a phonebook or something heavy I gently and evenly applied pressure to the layered filter.
After a few minutes, I removed the weight, carefully flipped the tissue-sandwich and removed the now top tissue.
The second disc was also given an incredibly thin layer of adhesive and let to dry briefly before applying.
Now came the tricky part. Lining up the two disc halves perfectly, without getting your fingers glued, or leave residue on the filter film. Eventually I got something I was happy with, let it sit to set for a few minutes, and then trimmed the excess film outside of the cardboard discs.
I then fit this into the purchased filter housing. It fit snuggly, and I realized that the two disc halves were slightly off center. It wasn't a huge deal at first, but as I placed the glass UV filter back inside the housing over the solar film, I noticed some wrinkles forming. This is due to the discs trying to straighten out, and gives the film some ripples. I read that having these ripples might be unsightly for a perfectionist like me, but has little to no influence in the quality of your image.
Then I placed the finished solar filter in the original filter case that came with the UV filter. Did I say filter enough? Filter filter filter!!
Storing the filter in here keeps dusts or scratches from developing on the material. I like this design because the outer side of the filter is the glass, and the sensitive fragile film is on the inner layer between the camera's lens and the filter. Therefore you can use it outdoors without worry of specks of dust, dirt, or foreign object from damaging the sensitive Baader AstroSolar Safety Film.
Have fun, and be safe.

No comments:
Post a Comment