First few photos taken on Oahu during my time working at the Kalaeloa HRSG Inspection:








Finally after finishing the job in Oahu, I decided to use some vacation time and hop over to Kauai.
The day I departed had an all-out “weird” feel to it. Checking out of the Doubletree in Waikiki was the start of it all. I had everything packed and ready to go and I left it by the Valet office. I figured I’d have enough time for breakfast so I went up to the buffet area. There, I had to wait around an unusual period of time, being ignored by the staff until I ended up just seating myself. When I was about to go get my breakfast, the waitress was beginning to ask me the usual questions long time until I predicted her questions, and told her I didn’t want coffee. She snatched the coffee mugs, which was fine, but then took my silverware and napkins as well. Huh? Oh well, I ate my breakfast anyhow and left. I realized I didn’t have my valet ticket, and it was somewhere in my packed bags. I asked the front desk for another ticket, but she told me she’d just call the valet office on my way down and take care of everything. When I got to the valet office again, the attendant was not very cooperative. Instead of listening to the instructions from the front desk, he decided to criticize me about losing the ticket. I asked if he had trouble understanding the instructions given by the front desk, he then insulted me for not memorizing the 6 digit valet code (doesn't everybody?). I decided to return to the front desk to report this douchebag, but while I was on my way, he dug his head out of his ass, and got my car for me. I didn’t bother to thank or tip him. Not murdering him seemed like a good tip.
I arrived at the airport rental return, and the attendant charged me an extra $200 for returning the car early since it fell under a different rate. Not willing to get into another argument, I just paid the damn bill since I’d be getting reimbursed and could also finger the blame on my coworker who made the reservation that I extended. It was mildly insulting, but whatever. I then checked in to my flight to Kauai, and while checking my luggage I was told I needed to check my carry-on as well. I was somewhat confident that I could fit the bag into their little “luggage box” but realized that the dimensions fell within less than a centimeter because of the wheels. When confronted about the issue, I asked for some sandpaper to file down the wheels enough to make it fit, but the lady at the desk was not amused, nor willing to extend any leniency toward me taking it as a carry-on. I paid for the stupid extra bag, and just added it onto my bad day already. What was even more insulting was a large heavyset woman carrying on a piece of carry-on luggage significantly larger than mine. Eventually I got on the plane and just wanted to close my eyes and hope the day got better. Inside the plane was extremely chilly, like 50 some degrees. I was dressed only in shorts and t-shirt. When we arrived in Kauai the temperature was warmer, but only in the upper mid 60s, and raining. I got over to the rental car desk, where a couple blatantly cut in line without even batting an eye. Later I found out that I would not be receiving any reward points for my rental since I was getting a discounted rate. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Just then, the attendant asked me if I needed directions. I politely declined, and then he asked me where I was headed. I told him I didn’t know, nor did I really care. The guy flipped out, and was borderline ANGRY with me. I turned my back and left with him fuming over his confusion. As I left, I anticipating another confrontation. My car was filthy, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to leave and hope the day got better. I started driving north to distance myself away from the airport, and perhaps find a place to stay. The rain was on and off, but tolerable. With nothing coming to mind, I decided to clear my head by finding an empty beach and listening to the waves. I found a lookout spot with maybe 200 yards of nothingness in each direction. I parked the car and opened the windows since the rain was letting up again. No sooner had I closed my eyes, when a minivan pulls up RIGHT next to me, with shouting children, squabbling parents, and whining teenagers. Really??? Such an expansive beach, literally hundreds of yards in each direction, and you choose to pull up RIGHT next to me? Without hesitation, I started the car and moved on to another beach. I didn’t need to go far, and there was a nice spot next to some palm trees. Again, no sooner had I closed my eyes, when some douchebag in his pickup truck pulls up RIGHT next to me with his stereo blasting bass capable of rattling screws loose. What the hell is going on today???!!!! I got out of there. At this point I was starting to get angry, and attributed it to partly low blood sugar, so I tried to find a place to eat. On the way, I was distracted with another beach, and left to see Kalihikae park. It was scenic, but the rain kinda made the lighting seem flat and boring.
Then rain REALLY started coming down, and my wipers weren’t enough
to provide good visibility. I eventually found a deli/sports bar to grab
a burger (Harvest Market). I was charged an extra $2.00 for a single
slice of cheese I thought was included in the cost for the burger, but I wasn’t
going to let that get to me. (choosing my battles wisely at this point) I left and made my way up north of the island just
wanting to get away from people and the tourist hysteria. I did find a
little town with a studio room for rent for a few days, but the owner told me
she didn’t feel comfortable with me staying there, since she would be doing
renovations nearby, and didn’t want to disturb me. I surrendered to
defeat, and decided to return to my “backup” hotel I chose. Since the
rain had picked up so much, all the campers were seeking shelter in hotels, and
the “plenty of rooms” that were available were no longer. I talked with
the attendant for some time, worked some mojo, and eventually something came up and I got a room for the
night. A bit more talking got me 2 nights. I got into my room, dumped
my luggage off, and plopped on the bed for a 10 minute power nap.

Upon Emma’s suggestion of going to the southern part of the island to avoid the rain, got me up and out the door. I got stuck in traffic, which took about 2 hours to drive 20 miles due to idiot drivers, bad weather, and construction. I stopped by Opaekaa Falls and Wailua Falls, then got my camera equipment soaked from the downpour, but was able to snag a few shots. I nearly gave an elderly couple a heart attack when I stood atop the safety rail/fence that rimmed the lookout. Their frightened reaction was more dangerous than the sturdy rail. From there I took a drive on up to Waimaea canyon. The rain let up here and there, but all the trails were soaking, muddy, and scattered visibility. At least there were no people around. I found a nice spot with a view and listened to music in my car as the rain drummed in intervals. Eventually I started to get hungry again, so I departed and found a mexican food joint (Paco’s Tacos) that sold me a tasty burrito for a moderate price. It was very nice. It started to get dark, so I returned back to the Kauai Sands Hotel. Once again, traffic was pretty abysmal, but with the darkness and the rain, I wasn't in any hurry. I snagged some water, some trail food and other snacks for the next day.



March 1 Hike








Finally after finishing the job in Oahu, I decided to use some vacation time and hop over to Kauai.
The day I departed had an all-out “weird” feel to it. Checking out of the Doubletree in Waikiki was the start of it all. I had everything packed and ready to go and I left it by the Valet office. I figured I’d have enough time for breakfast so I went up to the buffet area. There, I had to wait around an unusual period of time, being ignored by the staff until I ended up just seating myself. When I was about to go get my breakfast, the waitress was beginning to ask me the usual questions long time until I predicted her questions, and told her I didn’t want coffee. She snatched the coffee mugs, which was fine, but then took my silverware and napkins as well. Huh? Oh well, I ate my breakfast anyhow and left. I realized I didn’t have my valet ticket, and it was somewhere in my packed bags. I asked the front desk for another ticket, but she told me she’d just call the valet office on my way down and take care of everything. When I got to the valet office again, the attendant was not very cooperative. Instead of listening to the instructions from the front desk, he decided to criticize me about losing the ticket. I asked if he had trouble understanding the instructions given by the front desk, he then insulted me for not memorizing the 6 digit valet code (doesn't everybody?). I decided to return to the front desk to report this douchebag, but while I was on my way, he dug his head out of his ass, and got my car for me. I didn’t bother to thank or tip him. Not murdering him seemed like a good tip.
I arrived at the airport rental return, and the attendant charged me an extra $200 for returning the car early since it fell under a different rate. Not willing to get into another argument, I just paid the damn bill since I’d be getting reimbursed and could also finger the blame on my coworker who made the reservation that I extended. It was mildly insulting, but whatever. I then checked in to my flight to Kauai, and while checking my luggage I was told I needed to check my carry-on as well. I was somewhat confident that I could fit the bag into their little “luggage box” but realized that the dimensions fell within less than a centimeter because of the wheels. When confronted about the issue, I asked for some sandpaper to file down the wheels enough to make it fit, but the lady at the desk was not amused, nor willing to extend any leniency toward me taking it as a carry-on. I paid for the stupid extra bag, and just added it onto my bad day already. What was even more insulting was a large heavyset woman carrying on a piece of carry-on luggage significantly larger than mine. Eventually I got on the plane and just wanted to close my eyes and hope the day got better. Inside the plane was extremely chilly, like 50 some degrees. I was dressed only in shorts and t-shirt. When we arrived in Kauai the temperature was warmer, but only in the upper mid 60s, and raining. I got over to the rental car desk, where a couple blatantly cut in line without even batting an eye. Later I found out that I would not be receiving any reward points for my rental since I was getting a discounted rate. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Just then, the attendant asked me if I needed directions. I politely declined, and then he asked me where I was headed. I told him I didn’t know, nor did I really care. The guy flipped out, and was borderline ANGRY with me. I turned my back and left with him fuming over his confusion. As I left, I anticipating another confrontation. My car was filthy, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to leave and hope the day got better. I started driving north to distance myself away from the airport, and perhaps find a place to stay. The rain was on and off, but tolerable. With nothing coming to mind, I decided to clear my head by finding an empty beach and listening to the waves. I found a lookout spot with maybe 200 yards of nothingness in each direction. I parked the car and opened the windows since the rain was letting up again. No sooner had I closed my eyes, when a minivan pulls up RIGHT next to me, with shouting children, squabbling parents, and whining teenagers. Really??? Such an expansive beach, literally hundreds of yards in each direction, and you choose to pull up RIGHT next to me? Without hesitation, I started the car and moved on to another beach. I didn’t need to go far, and there was a nice spot next to some palm trees. Again, no sooner had I closed my eyes, when some douchebag in his pickup truck pulls up RIGHT next to me with his stereo blasting bass capable of rattling screws loose. What the hell is going on today???!!!! I got out of there. At this point I was starting to get angry, and attributed it to partly low blood sugar, so I tried to find a place to eat. On the way, I was distracted with another beach, and left to see Kalihikae park. It was scenic, but the rain kinda made the lighting seem flat and boring.

Upon Emma’s suggestion of going to the southern part of the island to avoid the rain, got me up and out the door. I got stuck in traffic, which took about 2 hours to drive 20 miles due to idiot drivers, bad weather, and construction. I stopped by Opaekaa Falls and Wailua Falls, then got my camera equipment soaked from the downpour, but was able to snag a few shots. I nearly gave an elderly couple a heart attack when I stood atop the safety rail/fence that rimmed the lookout. Their frightened reaction was more dangerous than the sturdy rail. From there I took a drive on up to Waimaea canyon. The rain let up here and there, but all the trails were soaking, muddy, and scattered visibility. At least there were no people around. I found a nice spot with a view and listened to music in my car as the rain drummed in intervals. Eventually I started to get hungry again, so I departed and found a mexican food joint (Paco’s Tacos) that sold me a tasty burrito for a moderate price. It was very nice. It started to get dark, so I returned back to the Kauai Sands Hotel. Once again, traffic was pretty abysmal, but with the darkness and the rain, I wasn't in any hurry. I snagged some water, some trail food and other snacks for the next day.



March 1 Hike
I woke up in the predawn hours, mostly due to a full bladder. I looked
outside, and I saw nothing but gray skies with spats of rain. I didn't
feel
like driving on out to the Nai Pali trailhead to get rained on more. I
dozed off back to sleep, and woke up around 8ish, and realized the rain
had let
up, and I could see blue sky peeking through layers of clouds. I jumped
out of bed, grabbed my backpack, and I was out the door. I realized my
mistake of a later departure when I was fighting through traffic. It
wasn't terribly bad, but annoying. As I got closer along the way, I saw
a guy holding a bucket of supplies trying to hitch a ride. I pulled
over, and let him in. We were actually going to the same spot. The guy
had been camping for the last several days, but the heavy rains drove
him into town, where he got some fresh produce. He could have used a
shower, since I had to open the windows to let in some fresh air. We
talked about travel locations, nomadic lifestyle, and such. I got to
the trailhead and there weren't any available parking spots in the lot,
nor the overflow lot by the helicopter landing area. I dropped the guy
off at the trailhead while I hunted down a spot to park. There was one
spot that I was able to scrape the bottom of the rental car, bounce over
some deep ruts and rocks, and squeezed in near the bordering fence.
There I got out, and put on the only pair of boots I had with me, my
heavy steel toed work boots. I grabbed my backpack with my camera
stuff, and made my way up the trail. I was distracted by a side trail
that skirted up the hillside with no signs. Up top, there was a cave
opening with a neat looking BLUE pool of water inside. I crawled down
in the cave and took some photos. (Now kicking myself that I didn't have
my camera set on RAW capture). There were signs around warning
potential swimmers of the dangerous bacteria in the water, but the
ambient temperature is what kept me out. Still too chilly in the shade
for a swim.

I then left and went on up the trail. The terrain was pretty beat down with heavy use. Lots of mud, and signs of people slipping around. My work boots didn't have much traction, but at least they had ankle support. As I ascended, it got really muggy as the sun came out and evaporated all the morning's rain. I was pouring sweat, and it seeped into my eyes, and saturated my clothing. There were several sections of the trail that could easily be done on a mountain bike, but the mud and rocks would make things dangerous. Every now and then over the roar of the waves crashing below, I would hear a sharp slapping crack on the water. I would then look out to sea as to where it came from, but would only see a foamy region of water where a humpback whale had breached and landed. I waited around and actually got to see a few in the distance breach, and waited for the long sonic delay of the impact.





I then left and went on up the trail. The terrain was pretty beat down with heavy use. Lots of mud, and signs of people slipping around. My work boots didn't have much traction, but at least they had ankle support. As I ascended, it got really muggy as the sun came out and evaporated all the morning's rain. I was pouring sweat, and it seeped into my eyes, and saturated my clothing. There were several sections of the trail that could easily be done on a mountain bike, but the mud and rocks would make things dangerous. Every now and then over the roar of the waves crashing below, I would hear a sharp slapping crack on the water. I would then look out to sea as to where it came from, but would only see a foamy region of water where a humpback whale had breached and landed. I waited around and actually got to see a few in the distance breach, and waited for the long sonic delay of the impact.




I got to the stream/beach and took a few swigs
of water and nibbled on some energy bars. A few local cats came by to
beg for food, or an ear scratch. The stream crossing was tricky to find
a way across without getting one's feet wet, due to the high water
flow, but it was possible if you planned your crossing well. Most
hikers were taking their footwear off, and appeared to gather a mass of
frustrated hikers by the trail crossing. I simply walked less than 50
yards downstream where anyone with moderate balance could make an easy
crossing. The trail on up to the falls were interesting with the
variety of smells. Rotting plant matter, Ginger, fruits, bamboo,
burning cannabis, and wild flowers. I got to the falls, and the
temperature dropped significantly. It was about the point where I
removed my backpack when I realized I was already too cool for a swim to
feel refreshing. A few teenagers would jump in and swim around a bit
before gasping for breath in the chilly waters. I also noticed at this
point there was no longer any direct sunlight. Clouds were moving in.
As I started to leave, rain started falling in little spats. I went off
the trail in a few spots in order to take photos of interesting
orchids. One shot had me dangling from a tree trunk on the slippery
face of a cliff while I made the shot with one hand. Sometimes I
question my motivation for photography. I talked to a few people on the
trail much closer to the parking lot who were in flip-flops, asking me
how much further it was. I had to inform them that they wouldn't make
it before sundown. Eventually I made it back to the car, stripped off
my boots, cranked the AC, and blasted on out of there. Many bug bites.


-1024.jpg)
-1024.jpg)
I stopped in at the grocery store to pick up
some food, since I didn't feel like going out to eat. I slammed down
some food in the parking lot where I had free WiFi, and sent out a few
emails. I then got back to my hotel room, showered, and collapsed on my
bed.

-1024.jpg)
-1024.jpg)
March2
I woke up rather
sore, and my feet feeling cramps due to improper footware for such a
long hike. I decided to sleep in a little. The rain was hammering
outside, and a few claps of thunder roared in the distance. It was
pretty soothing to doze off to, but my slumber was later disturbed.
Since the weather confined many tenants to the indoors the thin walls or
open windows made it apparent that other forms of entertainment were a
popular activity. When I got up, I grabbed some snacks and headed out
to the car without any specific agenda. I headed to the airport where
there is an old marina, dock and lighthouse. I was only able to walk
out on the jetty for a few minutes before the skies darkened and rain
came down with such force, only 5 seconds worth was sufficient to soak
me head to toe. I got my camera a bit wet in the process of sprinting
back to my rental car.


I sat in the car for a while and waited for the
storm to pass by. I got bored, and decided to keep on the move. I made
my way around to the Nini Lighthouse, and the sun came out. It got hot
for a while, and I took some photos of the area. Some humpback whales
were playing out in the harbor, but were pretty far out to observe.
Since the weather seemed to be getting better, I decided to continue
along the south side of the island. I made my way over to Island Taco,
and picked up a monster burrito, and snagged a container of nectar from
the local grocery store. I rallied the rental car off road near Russian
Fort until I got a nice, quiet, spot all to myself to eat my brunch
while listening to the waves crash, and wind hiss through palms and long
grass. The scenery wasn't all that spectacular, and there was a
significant amount of litter and trash here and there. I finished my
meal just as some people were arriving with dogs, so I departed.






I drove back up Waimea Canyon again since the skies
were a bit clearer. I took a few photos, did a few little hikes, and
realized that the one hike I was wanting to do, would take me a few
hours, and more clouds appeared to be moving in, along with the trail
terrain being slippery with mud. I departed, and went back down towards
Barking Sands and Polihale Beach. I then violated my rental agreement,
and took the dirt road out to the beach. It wasn't bad at all! I
don't know what the big hype was all about. I suppose if some city
slicker came by with a rental car and seeing how "flat" and straight the
road is, could potentially drive fast which would certainly damage a
car. There were washboard sections, and deep pot holes here and there,
but were easily avoidable. Eventually I got to the north beach parking
lot, put on my swimsuit, and played in the waves. There was a group of
people keeping a 30 foot distance around a sleeping elephant seal.
Apparently they're rare, and are found exclusively on this island. I
took some photos, and continued exploring the cost line up to where it
started getting rocky.






I talked with a guy who was there visiting with
his family, being sent all over with the military. We chatted some,
and did some body surfing in the waves until I was beginning to feel the
pummeling effects of being tossed about like a rag doll. As I showered
off, I realized that I had got a pretty substantial sunburn, which the
abrasive sand wounds amplified the effects. I was about to leave, but
decided to take some timelapse HDR footage of the sun setting. It
wasn't a particularly phenomenal sunset, but it would be my last in
Kaui, so I relaxed on the beach and soaked it all in.


I returned to my car and slowly drove the dusty
road back to pavement, and made my way back to the hotel. By the time I
arrived, I was incredibly hungry. I walked over to the Mermaid's Cafe
and snarfed a spicy sandwich that I was overcharged for. I noticed, but
didn't care because it tasted so good. There were a few other tourists
there about my age, and I tried to be a bit social, but nobody in that
particular area or group seemed to be all that friendly in meeting new
people. There were a few rowdy bars where people were a bit more
jovial, but equated to being completely drunk and loud. After having
such a tranquil evening on the beach, I wasn't in the mood for any loud
stuff, so I returned to the hotel.
March 3
The
next morning I got my things all packed, without any serious plans or
schedule. I figured I'd go for another brunch, and went to Java Kai
for some pancakes. I then left in search for some other souvenirs, and
picked up a few tshirts. I also hit up a fruit stand and got some red
rambutan to snack on later. It was incredibly hot and muggy outside,
so I retreated to my car with AC, and left to go over to check out a
shipwreck and some other sights. I found out the place where the
shipwreck was, I would be charged for, so I made my way over to Spouting
Horn. I took some video and photos of the place, then went across the
street to the National Tropical Botanical Garden. They were also
charging admission to go on a little "safari" like tour, all packed in a
truck and ferried around the grounds. Instead, I meandered around the
trails where there was an impressive variety of flowers, and I didn't
have people bothering me. I got my fill, and departed back towards the
airport. On my way back, there was a larger hitchhiker that I pulled
over to pick up. I honestly thought the person was a "he" but after
talking, and looking a bit closer, it was apparent that she was a she.
The lady needed a lift to work, since the bus was late, or possibly not
showing up. I took her as far as the Costco Gas station where I topped
off my car before returning it. On the way to the airport, I noticed I
had about an hour and a half to kill, so I went down the road a bit to
the Nini Lighthouse and watched whales for a bit. Sightings were
plentiful, and it was a good way to end the day. I returned the car to
Hertz, got to my flight, and headed home.












No comments:
Post a Comment