Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lee’s Ferry – Spencer Trail

The weekend before starting my night shift at NGS, I had to do some hiking.  I wanted to check out the Spencer trail that went from the bottom of the canyon near Lee’s Ferry, and up to the top of the rim of the Paria Canyon.  I drove on out to Lee’s Ferry, and paid an expensive fee for driving my car in and parking at the trailhead.  I saw a ranger out and about, so I guess it was a wise move.  The trail was interesting, and got steep quickly.  The path slithered up the canyon and eventually made it to the rim.  In looking for my car, I had to look nearly straight down to see it.  Quite the elevation gain over a short distance. 


From the rim I snapped several shots and explored a bit.  I then proceeded to travel along the rim to see if I could make it to Dominguez Pass.  Some sections were really slow going due to difficult terrain.  If I could do parts again, I would move further away from the rim.  The views were too tempting at the time, so my progress was hindered.  While I was a few miles away from the trail, my phone chirped and informed me that some engineers were meeting at the bar to watch the Superbowl, and get some dinner.  I had no idea that there even was a football game.  I replied saying that I might be quite a bit late, but I’d see if I could swing on in.  I continued along my hike until I came across a microwave tower. 



I didn’t want to get too close since the dish was fairly low.  There was a dirt road that went straight to the station, and I figured it was one of the roads that was gated just outside of Page.  I might have to return with a sneaky mountain bike approach.  I didn’t go too much further since the angle of the sun was getting lower, and I also was thinking food related thoughts.  Besides, it would be good to meet the other engineers for a bit.  I made my way back and down the canyon, stopping here and there for some views, snack, or a drink of water.  Got to my car, and sped off down the deserted roads.  I was rewarded with some impressive low angle sunlight on the cliff faces right past the Navajo Bridge.  Very scenic drive back to Page.  


I showered off, and made my way to the bar where I got some greasy food and watched the remainder of the bowl game with the other Alstom guys.  Got to the hotel, and tried to stay awake as long as possible, watching movies, and playing with photos taken that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment