Sunday, September 24, 2006

Twin Peaks

Dave and I met up at the 7-11 at the mouth of big cottonwood canyon around 6:30 for some hot coco, and to jump into one vehicle. We cruised around for a bit looking for the Twin Peaks trailhead. After locating the thing, we started up on our rather rapid ascent. As the sun rose, the temperatures slowly reached layer shedding levels, and required a quick swig of water and energy gel. We saw a few deer right before reaching the ponds at the base of Twin Peaks. At this point we attached gators and tromped through the loose snow. There were a few campers at the ponds kinda meandering around in the cold, so we made funny noises at them when we passed by.

The snow conditions in the open were tricky. There was obviously a semi-fresh layer of powder ranging from 6 in. – 18 in deep in spots and below this layer were many uneven rocks that craved fresh nimble ankles. These rocks however, were glazed with a thin layer of ice which made footing VERY tricky. As the slope increased in steepness, foot placement became top priority. Ice axes were a must have, as well as sturdy boots/gators. I took a bogus turn up the slopes after we lost the trail markers in the snow. I was unable to backtrack down due to the extreme slipperiness of the ice/powder death trap. I continued up while Dave descended and circled around the nasty section.


Eventually I was able to make it to the "easy" gulley we ended up taking. The next few hours were spent kick stepping and sweating profusely as the sun's rays beat down, and reflected up at us. At this point we realized that we had no sunscreen. Later I found solar shelter by my shirt hood, and a handkerchief wrapped around my face. Sunglasses were almost always steamed during the climb, but provided necessary screening of the crazy rays.

Kick stepping became rather difficult as we got higher, and the amount of ice glazing the rocks below became nasty, and unpredictable. Eventually Dave and I reached the saddle point approaching the summit, and were treated with views of the valley, and dramatic skies. I celebrated by firing off three .40 S&W rounds into the adjacent snow banks, and then making taunting cell phone calls. I snapped several pics, and ate some snackage. I looked as where the "trail" continued, and could see it traverse along the northern slopes of Twin peaks instead of going up the ridge. The ridge crest was riddled with evil slanty slopes of death, worse than the ones I had experienced below. The traverse looked unattractive as well. Very steep, and if one would slip, it would be necessary to use the ice axe arrest for survival. If Dave and I HAD to get across, we could. But since both of us were under time restraints, and decided we would rather not tempt fate, we called our spot the summit for the day.


Our descent was a little better. The sun had warmed up the snow, and it increased in density. Therefore we were able to stay a bit more buoyant and avoid a lot of the icy rocks under the layer. Plunge stepping was slowed by some spots where the snow was thin, and rocks awaited to twist ankles. Frequently we'd come across outcroppings of wild mint plants that were pleasant to smell as you tromped through the vegetation below the snow.


Our progress downward was interrupted by frequent attempts to roll snowballs down that would increase in size during their descent. When we finally got to the ponds, we investigated the location of the infamous Skittles wrapper. We couldn't find it despite our efforts in unearthing several rocks, and surrounding underbrush. The clouds came in, got dark, and it seemed like a good idea to keep moving. Then came the gradual downward trail leading back to the cars.

Dave treated me to a delicious Quizno's sandwich when we reached civilization once again. I then headed home to take a shower, and head off to a friend's bachelor party involving BBQ, and firearms.

No comments:

Post a Comment