Friday, March 30, 2007

4 day weekend!

Preceding the Memorial Day Holiday, Trevor, Brandy, Brian, Brent, and I went up big cottonwood canyon to explore around a bit. Just fun to be outdoors. That evening, Brent and I decided to give Timpanogos an attempt around 1am. We got up to the roadblock and hiked up past the trailhead. My GPS had a tracklog of someone's trip up there, so it was fairly easy to find our way between that, the starlight, and flashlights. Several coyote's howled at our arrival in one of the basins. Even though it was unneeded, it felt nice having a loaded 1911 .45 ACP at my side. The snow got really steep, and held the consistency of an engine block. After parts of my had became frozen to my iceaxe, we decided to call it quits due to the cold, steepness, and overall stupidity of attempting the climb so ill-equipped.



I realized that I had no class on Friday, and didn't need to be back to SLC for class until Tuesday evening. Since Brent was going to be driving home to Kent, I thought I could snag a ride home w/ him and catch a 1 way flight back to SLC. So after a boring lecture, I packed my things and piled into Brent's Contour for the trip home. Leaving Thursday evening, we drove the 820 some miles to Kent with only 2 stops for gas and kidney taps. Brent had adopted one of the snakes that were at the Holsinger house, and as soon as the sun came up, the snake became a bit frisky. It later found a nice resting spot above the sun visors.


My parents were "cat-sitting" Emma's pixybob while she was out of town for the weekend. It's a tiny fur ball of energy that provided hours of entertainment. It was nice to meet up with the family again and kick back. I went by to go see Bonnie, watch a movie, and then went for a walk. During which, two cars went speeding through a residential zone, one passing the other on a 2 lane road. Obviously the passing car didn't see us until moments after passing within .32 inches from my wrist at 45+mph. Urge to kill, rising…

The next day my dad, Brent, and I headed out towards Mt. Rainier to go on a hike. We climbed up Crystal peak, and into the snow. We saw a large elk glide across the slopes after we spooked it. The top provided us with outstanding views of Mt Rainier, and the cloud formations around mixing with low angled light. There were thousands of little biting ladybugs everywhere up on the top. Dumb bugs… at least they weren't biting flies or mosquitoes. The return trip was easy. Plunge stepping down the slopes like an astronaut on the moon. There were a few spots where it was steep enough to glissade. I kept a GPS track log on the trip just for the fun of it. Headed home, and lounged for the rest of the day.



Sunday was church, and later a trip to Grandma's for a large Bonfire in the back, followed by smoores . Monday was just nice to kick back with the family and goof off watching movies etc. Tuesday morning I flew back to SLC in time for my classes. It proved to be rather difficult to remain awake in the warm lecture hall during a particularly dry session, and on cold medication.


No comments:

Post a Comment