Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Talk about a string of bad luck

Just a quick update:

Last week was a very stressful and somewhat depressing week of bad luck.

What everyone mostly knows is that my primary hard drive finally gave up the ghost the other day, taking with it my homework that was due that coming week. I stayed up all the next night trying to compensate for the week long assignment that needed to be turned in. After much work at the computer lab as early as they were open, I got about ½ of the project completed. After talking to the professor about my personal disaster, he decided to allow me extra time, but didnt accept what I had worked soooo hard to complete in time. I was relieved, but somewhat ticked off that he just shrugged aside MANY hours of hard work. My new hard drive should be coming in the mail today, so things should get better in that respect.

Also during that week, I tried to smooth things over with that Danae girl with a note tied to a rose left at her work, and a bouquet of flowers in a vase with a card and picture on her doorstep. That seemed to go over really well, because I didnt hear from her at all thereafter. That will put anyone in a sour mood. The next day I was invited for a spur the moment game of ultimate Frisbee and I was more than willing to distress some. Some new guy was playing, and was a bit too aggressive, and to prevent me from scoring a goal, he jumped up when I was in the air, and drove his knee into my hip, and into my lower ribcage. I still have a MASSIVE purple and yellow bruise there. On the plus side, that bruise got plenty of odd looks from people when going swimming.

After the Frisbee game, my luck turned around a little as I asked a girl to come w/ me to a BBQ that evening, and watch fireworks in Taylorsville. However, during the outing, I totally forgot to put gas in my car from my previous outing. So, Im watching the needle fall lower and lower with this girl in my car. The engine starts to sputter, and Im desperately trying to find a gas station. As I crest a hill, and begin my descent, I could just feel my engine giving its last few hiccups of power, and knew I needed to conserve my momentum. Salvation arrived as I found a Sinclair gas station to the right past an intersection. As I went through the intersection, my date shouted out a little, as there were cars coming into the intersection from right. I looked up, and my light was red, and must have recently turned red as I was distracted looking for gas stations on that corner. After swerving out of the way and barreling into the gas station I filled up my tank, while my date sat there with large eyes. So I totally blew that one. Fireworks were nice though, even though we were a bit close to them, and had bits of burning ash coming down on us. My driving luck didnt seem to improve even through the next day. On Monday, I asked for the day off, since I knew I wasnt going to have any work to do. And like expected, there wasnt any work for me to do, but regardless, I had to be there. After cleaning up crap for a few agonizing hours, some project got out, and I could do some work. I was very anxious to get out of town, because I was planning a camping trip up by the Causey Reservoir and canoe on Pineview reservoir, then later goof off w/ Dave and his family at a condo. Well as I was backing out of the parking lot organized in 45 degree angled parking slots, I was looking in my side view mirror checking for cross traffic. Suddenly *KABUMP* I had backed into a car. I looked outside, and some lady I work with has trouble parking at the correct 45 degree angle, and her car was sticking almost half way into my parking spot. Thankfully the contact was just on the bumper, and there was only a bit of paint transfer scuff marking. I decided Id better go talk to her and let her know what happened. So I tell this lady who works in the office, and she of course gets upset. Her car isnt in the best condition and kind of a beater. Her side door had a large dent in it from a previous accident, and she looked it over like it was from me. I then pointed out that it was ONLY her bumper I hit, and she still seemed to get all snippy with me, even though she didnt quite see her flaw in parking right behind my car. I didnt want to be a complete dick about it and tell her this was partly her fault because I couldnt even back out of my parking spot w/o hitting her car. But, if I were to go have told her off, I would risk the possibility of this lady holding onto my next paycheck to fix her bumper etc. So I didnt want to press my luck, so I let her bitch me out for 5 minutes. On my way home, I discovered that 4 people who were going on this camping trip bailed out on me last minute, so it would just be me Trevor, Brandy, and Cliff their cat. No matter, I just wanted to get OUT of the city for the night.

The camping trip was nice. Trevor brought a bunch of wood we packed into my car along w/ camping stuff. We found a nice place to camp for free even on the 3rd-4th. It was right by the spillway, and we had a nice bonfire, and slept under the stars, as Cliff kept the perimeter in check at night. All four of us went canoeing later the next day, and were buzzed by a 4 engine USAF refueling aircraft, and a squad of F-16s. We then played in a pool w/ Dave and his family, then went to a Monetary to buy some honey. We got back and I dropped off Brandy and Trevor, and just then I heard a raven bark at me in the distance. The last time that happened, I had just aced a final I was sure I had botched. But I got home, and there was a letter taped to the doorstep from Denae, and it appears that my luck has finally returned. So well see what happens now.

Hopefully I can get my computer working again, and recover some of my files. Right now Im working on my roommates computer.

Ok, gotta go to work here in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment