President's day was too nice of a day to pass up. I wanted to get out and go do something, like a brief hike. I knew that Brandy was planning on going out to Stansbury Island, so I asked if I could bum a ride out there. I asked Bryan if he'd want to come, and he agreed to come along. We picked up some snacks and some firewood at Smiths, and then Bryan got a call about his job which demanded his attention. So, Brandy and I headed out towards Stansbury Island. I had a couple of Geocaches programmed into my GPS, and was eager to check some out. The roads out to Stansbury Island were a bit muddy, and limited the direction of travel that we preferred. Instead, we stuck to the west side of the island. After finding a spot to stop, we unloaded the wood and other stuff. I got a fire going for Brandy so she could sit next to it and read, and then headed up the ridgeline. I scampered up a neat jagged ridgecrest, and the air was nice and cool. I had to remove my sweater and shirt since I was still very hot climbing. The nearest geocache was located at the summit of one of the peaks I was heading towards. Unfortunately, I was confronted with a cliff face, which the only way around would be to drop several hundred feet into a gulley to ascend another ridge. I took some pictures, and returned.




The trip back was rather rapid since I had gravity on my side. I met back up with Brandy, and I snarfed some M&M's and an orange. The sun then went down, and Trevor arrived shortly thereafter. We ate some soup cooked over the fire, and watched the stars come out and the near full moon painted the landscape. We then had a nice outing under the stars with the smell of campfire. As the wood supply diminished, we put the fire out, and departed back to SLC.





No comments:
Post a Comment