Tuesday, August 29, 2006

What happened to summer break?

So its about time I do a write-up of my abbreviated summer break. After finals, I headed home to pack, then played a game of ultimate Frisbee, then put things in the car to head out for ....Seattle..... After loading things up, I decided I would be better rested if I got 3-4 hours of sleep on my soft bed vs. reclining in my drivers seat wedged between the gear shifter and emergency brake. So I departed around 7am and blasted on through ..Utah.., ..Idaho.., ..Idaho.., and more ..Idaho.., ....Oregon...., and finally back home. It suddenly turned green over Snoqualmie pass, and later I pulled into my driveway and unloaded the basics. I got a bit of shut-eye outside in the shade of the backyard, then met up w/ some friends to go start mischief. The preceding days were spent hiking, swimming, dancing, rollerblading, meeting with family members, and then attending Heidis wedding reception. After that my family and I departed to go to the ....Oregon.... coast.




I slept on a hide-a-bed for my stay in ....Oregon.... w/ my parents, and we explored the coastline, and met up with my cousins from SLC who were staying in a rented condo about 10 miles away. We went to the beach where I donned a spare wet suit and grabbed a board and went to grab some waves. Unfortunately, the riptide and currents were VERY strong, and were often overpowering. If you planted your heels in the sand when in chest high water, the current would still drag you, leaving parallel heel trenches in the ocean floor. After being pounded relentlessly for about an hour, and almost getting a few waves ( but not actually up on the board for anymore than 3 seconds ) I dried off by the beach fire and read my book as the sun came out.

The days following we had beach fires, and played fun games with all the family and friends, and explored the local coastline and inland features.

When I got back home, I met up with more friends. We went out in the boonies to go shoot guns, and had a King County Sheriff come visit us armed with a Colt M4 carbine and Kevlar body armor. He was very polite, and informed us that the area was now closed recently due to construction developments in the area. He sure got our attention though! I went to another wedding reception, and then hung out with more of my family at a huge reunion shindig. I then spent some time with Bonnie watching the recently released Simpsons DVD, and other various movies. Then, before I knew it It was time for me to go back to school in ....Utah..... Next year I want a MUCH longer summer break! < 2 weeks just isnt enough.




I slept on a hide-a-bed for my stay in Oregon w/ my parents, and we explored the coastline, and met up with my cousins from SLC who were staying in a rented condo about 10 miles away. We went to the beach where I donned a spare wet suit and grabbed a board and went to grab some waves. Unfortunately, the riptide and currents were VERY strong, and were often overpowering. If you planted your heels in the sand when in chest high water, the current would still drag you, leaving parallel heel trenches in the ocean floor. After being pounded relentlessly for about an hour, and almost getting a few waves ( but not actually up on the board for anymore than 3 seconds ) I dried off by the beach fire and read my book as the sun came out.

The days following we had beach fires, and played fun games with all the family and friends, and explored the local coastline and inland features.

When I got back home, I met up with more friends. We went out in the boonies to go shoot guns, and had a King County Sheriff come visit us armed with a Colt M4 carbine and Kevlar body armor. He was very polite, and informed us that the area was now closed recently due to construction developments in the area. He sure got our attention though! I went to another wedding reception, and then hung out with more of my family at a huge reunion shindig. I then spent some time with Bonnie watching the recently released Simpsons DVD, and other various movies. Then, before I knew it It was time for me to go back to school in Utah. Next year I want a MUCH longer summer break! < 2 weeks just isnt enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment